Service. Community. Together.
We are one Park Ridge community. We care about our neighbors, our children, our commercial enterprises, our environment, and our city.
This is our home.
Vote Joseph Steinfels for 5th Ward.
2023 Consolidated Election: April 4, 2023
Voting serves all of us. Thank you for your commitment.
Reach out for more information or to lend your support. Thanks in advance.
- Born and raised in Park Ridge
- Graduated Mary Seat of Wisdom (1990) and Maine South (1994)
- Served in the Marines for 24 years, the last 17 as a combat arms officer
- Led Marines in combat operations (Iraq/2004-2005 & Afghan/2010-2011)
- Married to the former Miss Demelza Mok of Des Plaines (IL), having met in high school and among the last generation of military enlistees to actually write letters (instead of email or text) to their "significant other"
- Father of four children (two at Lincoln, two at Roosevelt)
- Former Legislative Assistant, US Senate (Washington, DC)
- Associate Professor (Duke University, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State)
- Public Defender, Lake County (IL)
- Published author of 16 professional journal articles
- Completed 12 marathons and two "ultra-marathon" races
- Visited, worked, or lived in 56 countries
- BA, History (UIC); MA, International Mgmt (UMUC); MA, Leadership Studies/Mgmt Theory (Marshall); Grad Certificate, Legislative Appropriations (Georgetown); JD (NCCU)
- Volunteer Counsel, Legal Aid Chicago (2019-2021)
- Park Ridge American Legion Post 247 (2019-present)
- Lector, Mary Seat & St Paul of the Cross Parish (2019-present)
- Liaison to Niles Public Arts & Culture Advisory Council (2019-2022)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (Niles/Park Ridge, 2019-present)
- Maine South Constitution Team Mentor (2019-2020)
- Asst Coach, Park Ridge Park District Basketball (2019-present)
- Trustee, Park Ridge Library Board (2020-2023)
- Committee Chair, Cub Scout Pack 201 (Roosevelt, 2020-present)
- Coach, Girls-on-the-Run (Roosevelt, 2020)
- Nation Tally-Keeper, Park Ridge Wilderness Scouts & Princesses Federation (Algonquin Nation) (2020-present)
- Creator/Organizer of the Go Green Park Ridge "Everyday is Earth Day!" semiannual Woodland Clean-Up Event (2020-present)
- Board Member (Facilities Committee), Chicago Youth Centers
- Park Ridge Kiwanis (2020-present)
- Producer, Roosevelt Elementary School V-Show (2020-present)
- Chair, Park Ridge Memorial Day Parade (2022-present)
- In November 1994, a Park Ridge friend overdosed and died. Seeking to change my life, I left for the Marines a few weeks later.
- In 1999, I completed my first marathon in 3:51:16.
- Deploying for the first time to combat in 2004, I led a Marine combat unit comprised of fellow Americans from myriad diverse communities ranging from Queens to rural Oklahoma to East LA, united together as a single team with a common mission.
- In November 2004, I lost my first Marine in combat.
- In August 2007, my bride and I married at Mary Seat of Wisdom.
- In June 2009, my first child was born and required neonatal medical treatment. For the first time in my life, I felt so humbled as I grappled with the realization of my utter helplessness.
- In August 2016, I was accepted as faculty and appointed as an Associate Professor (simultaneously) at Duke University, UNC (Chapel Hill), and NC State University.
- In February 2020, I passed the Illinois State Bar Exam.
- In June 2021, I undertook my first trial as a Public Defender, trying to deliver on the promise of justice to society's most vulnerable.
- In June 2022, I--with my mother, wife & four children--travelled to Miwani (Kenya) to build showers and other infrastructure to support orphans who had lost parents to the AIDS epidemic.
- In December 2022, I submitted a petition to run for alderperson.
Paid for by the Citizens to Elect Joseph Steinfels
Copyright © 2022 Joseph Steinfels - All Rights Reserved.